Scaredy Pup

Had to share this little story from today.

We live on an Army base. It is not uncommon to hear some Artillery booms from time to time. Nothing super close, nothing real loud, even the airplanes from the nearby airport are louder, but we do hear them.

There were some artillery booms this morning while Rembrandt was outside. I don't know what was different about today, but something scared the pup. He desperately pawed at the door to come in, and would only go back outside when I made him come out with me. His tail stayed down between his legs.

So I brought him back in, but he could still hear the booms, and was still getting scared. The crazy pup climbed into my lap. Well, first he tried climbing up from under my TV tray, which wasn't about to work, so he finally went around it. He knows he's not allowed on the furniture, but he was all the way up in my lap. All 60 pounds of him. He kept trying to get his whole body curled up in my lap, but he's just too big! I finally got him to sit next to me for a bit, but he trembled the whole time.

When I'd had enough (which wasn't long), I made him get down and grabbed his blanket. I wrapped it around him and tried to soothe him. He sat still, but left a puddle of drool on the floor. I had to leave for an FRG thing, and Rem thought he would just come with me.

It took a wrap in the blanket and some more soothing talk about how safe he was at home to get him to stay in place so I could leave. He didn't even want his usual cucumber chunk.

So I left and went about my morning. I was out for about 3 hours. Came home, and everything is just fine. He did save his cucumber chunk in his food bowl until I got home, then happily gobbled it up. Now it's time for his lunchtime nap, which is followed up with an afternoon nap. He naps a lot in the heat.

I'm still not sure what it was about today that scared him so much, but that poor guy was trembling in my lap and doing the anxious drool. I have a few scratches to show for it all, but nothing bad. Hopefully he's learned that he's safe at home.  I hope so, because our next home is more likely to have those artillery sounds more often.

Silly puppy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice