The Big 5-0

I meant to write this a few days ago but kept getting distracted. I need an excuse to sit still for a bit, so here's my blog post.

This past Sunday, J wanted to take me for a long bike ride. He was sure I could do it, but I was nervous. The plan was to head over to Johnny Lolita's, ride from there up to The Bean in Old Mesilla, then back. Of course, you don't stop at a coffee shop like The Bean without getting something, so we had coffees and scones. And you don't stop at Johnny Lolita's without something, either, so iced coffees completed the ride.

So what? What's the big deal?

It's 25 miles between coffee shops.

TWENTY-FIVE MILES.

TWICE.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I rode 50 miles. This is the longest bike ride I have ever done. And I wasn't completely destroyed at the end! Although my knees were sore later that day and the following day. Just means I gotta do this stuff more often.

Especially if I want to do 60 miles in September.

Mind you, this was all easy going for J. He even snapped some pics on his phone.
riding through pecan groves
It was a great day to ride. Some headwind, but not as bad as it can get here. Lots of humidity, but I've been missing that. Well, lots for here. The fields were all green and lush. We could smell crops of onion and cabbage and saw the corn. I started thinking about making some soup. The pecan groves were being irrigated and you could smell the fresh water. I even saw what I believe was a Snowy Egret. It looked a lot like this guy:
Photo from the NM Ornithological Society
Finally, to celebrate a successful ride, we stopped at Chipotle for some burritos to take home. It was a nice way to end a 4-day weekend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice