Moving On...

I’m moving!! After five years in El Paso, we are headed to a new duty station. Very soon.

Now, El Paso has its good points, but I’m tired of this place. Let’s start with the positives, though.

Mexican food – OMG, the food! I will not likely eat Mexican food for a while after we leave here. Not that I eat out often, but even the other ethnic foods around here are pretty awesome.

Sunshine – Surprisingly for someone who has light sensitivity, I also love sunshine, mostly for the warmth. I’m cold blooded, and the warm temps here make me very happy. It also makes running and cycling year round a real option. Fortunately, I’m headed to OK just in time for summer.

Fort Bliss – This Army post is big and modern. I’ve already been told that Fort Sill is tiny in comparison. I will survive just fine in a small town and small post, but I will still miss some of the luxuries we have here, like multiple pharmacies, 2 gyms with lots of classes, 2 pools, a shopping center with real restaurants…

Growth – I mean personal growth. J and I have both grown a lot in the last 5 years. I became a runner and even a marathoner! We ride bikes, which we only started after moving here. I’ve lost weight, gained strength, and even solved some of my anxiety issues. I am an overall healthier person since moving here. And I’ve made friends that will last for ages.

Let’s not forget one thing I will always be thankful to El Paso for – Rembrandt. Don’t know that we would have found such a perfect dog anywhere else. Also, we found an amazing kennel and veterinarian here. I will miss them.

Ok. I’m done being happy. Now to tell you what I won’t miss.

Wind – OMG the wind never ends and is driving me crazy!

Drivers – Speaking of driving, no one here knows how. Seriously, these are the worst drivers I have ever encountered. I have severe road rage when driving here.

Thorns – Those damn things are everywhere! They get stuck in Rem’s fur and then get left on our floor for us to step on in our bare feet. Or Rem steps on them.

Customer Service – It’s bad here. We were told by someone who grew up here to expect bad service at restaurants, and it’s held true.

Desert – I miss green. And water. And farmers markets that actually have produce. And rain. And humidity.

Dogs – This area has many strays, and has a love of pit bulls. I have nothing against pitties, but it seems that many of the people here like to make their pit bulls look tough. They crop their ears in the fighting style and put big chains around their necks, then leave them alone in the back yard. I feel bad for a lot of them. There is a big problem with back yard breeding, and just a general lack of owner responsibility for animals here. I’m glad we were able to rescue Rem, and a little sad that I can’t rescue more.

Really, a big part of my excitement to move is simply that we never expected to be here this long. We thought we’d do the Army thing and move around, and see the world. Then we came here. And stayed here. I’m ready for the next place, the next adventure. I’m ready to move on.



Comments

  1. Um, I hate to break this to you, but "where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains" isn't a euphemism :) But if it helps, you kinda get used to it? And yes, Lawton is tiny, but OKC and Norman aren't too far for a good day trip, and I'm pretty sure y'all will love Mt. Scott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. does the wind constantly change direction like it does here? I wouldn't mind so much if it would stay from the same direction.

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to run through a backyard full of grass...barefoot. Also, I didn't realize it until now, but my road rage has subsided. Safe travels, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice