The Proposed Islamic Community Center in NYC

I just read this article from cbs news. I know this has been all over the news.

I have to say, I agree with Obama on this one. From what I have read and heard, there is no legal reason to block the building of this center.

The quotes from the article above would have you believe they are building a mosque right on top of ground zero. Not so. And it's more than a mosque, it's a community center with schools and such.

It's on private property, it does not violate any building codes, city codes or any of that craziness. And since we do not ban the building of any other religion's temples in this country, we cannot ban this one.

Yes, it may not be the most appropriate place to build an Islamic community center, but we can't stop them just because we don't like it.

Another article, showing that even some Jews are supporting the center.

I guess you could add me to that. I have been to a mosque. While I didn't learn much from that trip, it was something I would do again. Of course, I like learning about all religions, about the differences and similarities. I claim no religion as my own, but my heritage is Jewish, my blood is Jewish, and I relate closely to the Jewish faith.

I feel that people are forgetting the concept of tolerance, not to mention forgiveness and acceptance.

Another thought that all this brought up is, how many muslims died in the 9/11 attacks? I'm not the first one to ask this. He does determine that, yes, there were muslims killed in the attacks. We can't say it was just us and not them.

I know many people won't agree with me, but can you give me a legal reason, not personal, to ban the building of this center?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

The Roof of Africa - Getting There