Puppy Fever

I stupidly decided to browse around at www.petfinder.com tonight, and found Jaxx, an Irish Wolfhound, Great Dane mix. This dog is so beautiful. I've loved Irish Wolfhounds since I first say one in a dog show on TV. They are so gorgeous.

I can't rescue this dog. We aren't supposed to have more than 2 animals in our house without a waiver (that apparently isn't easy to get), J doesn't want and won't let me get another dog, and Remy is quite the handful himself. But I want to rescue this little guy.

I actually started looking at the dogs after I emailed the Great Dane Rescue of El Paso about the possibility of volunteering there. I spent a little while volunteering at another shelter (on the far westside of El Paso) before we moved on post. I loved the animals and some of the volunteers, but it was very unorganized, and I couldn't stand the shelter's owner. I felt like they didn't know what to do with me on some days that I went in to volunteer, and the owner had zero people skills. In fact, I would say she was in the negatives on people skills.

That was quite a while ago, and lately I feel a little lacking. I feel like I want to volunteer more. Sure, there are places I could work for free at here on post, but they require working with people. And I'm not that fond of people.

I could also volunteer at the Humane Society. It's close to post and I know someone else that volunteered there before her baby.

But the Humane Society is a big, well known organization. Great Dane Rescue is a small, lesser known organization. I am thinking that they may need more volunteers there, and that my help will have a greater impact.  Plus, I really love big dogs. I wanted a big dog, but compromised with J to a medium dog. Hence, no Jaxx. Although I would totally change the spelling of his name. One X is enough.

I decided to ask GD Rescue about volunteering with them. These next 2 months are a little full already, so I'm thinking of starting in January. I cannot foster any pets, since we live in military quarters, so all the help I do will be at their shelter or events they participate in. And I won't be doing much weekend stuff unless J ends up getting deployed (don't worry, not likely). I also would love to volunteer at a shelter that would let me bring Remy with me some days, to play with the dogs. It would be good for him and for them. Even if it's just a lesson in putting up with rambunctious dogs. Remy is quite rambunctious. And very social.

Of course, I will let you all know if I start volunteering at a shelter. Heck, I might even pick a day of the week to share stories of the dogs I meet. Or cats, if I end up at a shelter with cats. I might avoid them somewhat, due to Duke's FeLV. Just safer that way. There will definitely be no other cats in my life while Duke is still around. Love that kitty.

Comments

  1. Either the Great Dane rescue or the Humane Society would be lucky to have your help. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice