Yom Kippur

It's the Day of Atonement for Jews today. I've mentioned before that Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are 2 Jewish holidays that J and I decided to observe, in our own way, a few years ago.

Yom Kippur is observed by praying, not working, and fasting (those are the basics). Well, y'all know I'm a bad Jew, but we do fast on this day. I also try to think about what I need to work on to make myself a better person. This is kinda of a written meditation.

The fast has been an easy one for me this year. A few sips of water to ease the allergies (very stuffy nose). I must say that looking at Pinterest is a bad idea on this day. I learned my lesson. J and I even made a trip to the commissary to buy some foods for our dinner after sundown (Jewish days is sundown to sundown). We're having a spread of cheeses, dips, crackers, chips and some sliced lunch meats. Yes, not kosher. Like I said, I'm a bad Jew.

As for bettering myself, the past couple days made it very obvious that I need to work on patience and anger management. I get very upset very easily, especially when driving. I have little patience for people lately. I feel this is important for me to focus on now, since I know my emotions are getting ready for a roller coaster ride. I'm not fond of emotion and feeling, which often makes me quick to anger. Ok, really, anything makes me quick to anger, and that's not such a good thing.

I also know I need to work on my feelings about my brother and his ex-wife. I love hating on her, and we all know that's not a good thing. Fun? Yes. But good? No. So I need to focus more on helping my brother through this as best I can with what communication I have with him. And be open for more communication when he is ready for it.

Of course I'll still be working on my fitness and health. I would love to get the weight loss going again, but would be happy just seeing my body change to look more fit. Which means strength training. I think trying the pilates video I already own would be a good place to start. If I can do that twice a week, I will probably see a difference. Then running, swimming, biking in between. And dog walks, because Remy is getting chubby. OH, and I started taking daily vitamins again. I bought a 30 day supply and will see how I feel when I get close to running out. I didn't take them today because I didn't want to upset my stomach.

So, that is what I think I need to do to be a better me. At least, those are the big issues. I'm sure little ones will crop up along the way.


Comments

  1. Very insightful...it's nice to just sit down every once in a while and be honest with yourself. Your feast sounds really good! I think I'm going to do a dinner of just munchies like that one night! Also, I always take my prenatal vitamins before bed. It helps me remember to take them, and they don't make me sick...so maybe that will help :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I get very upset very easily, especially when driving."
    You're clearly not as bad as I am. ;)

    And if I'm not sleeping or working with one of my bosses, feel free to harass me via text if you ever need to. I'll be more available "personally" when Brian leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice