Oh Hey! I'm A Runner!

Forgot! I ran a half marathon yesterday. How can one forget that, right? I just forgot to blog about it.

Official results are out so here's my post.

I ran the half marathon distance of the Fort Bliss Marathon (first annual). My goal was to keep an average 10 min/mile pace. I was more nervous for this race than any others. I think that was somewhat because it was my first race all on my own. No husband, no mother, just me. It didn't help that I didn't feel so good the day before. Had a low grade fever. Tylenol took care of it, but it had me a little worried.

I didn't sleep very well either. Nervous dreams kept waking me up. I woke up early and got ready. I had laid out my stuff the night before. Made a smoothie for breakfast.

The run itself was pretty good. I had my music and tracked myself with Strava.

They had water stations ever 2 miles. I usually don't drink at the first water station so I ran past it. Then at mile 4, they were out of cups. WTF, right? Again at mile 6, no cups. Now I was pissed. How do you not put enough cups at the water stations?! Holy Hell.

I went ahead and took my energy gel at mile 6. Finally at mile 8, they had just restocked cups and I got some water. I stopped again at mile 10. They had water just one mile later, at 11, instead of mile 12. Probably because right after mile 11 is where the half marathon split off from the full marathon. Then the halfers had to run the rest with no water. Only 2.1 miles though. No problem.

On my splits, I started off a little too fast, the first mile was 8:48. I slowed it down and kept it around 9:30 until mile 8. Finally get some water and I slowed down some. I don't know what happened in mile 11, but I slowed way down, to an 11:20 pace. I picked it back up for the last 2 miles, and really ran it home for the last tenth of a mile.

My official time was 2:09:22. I finished 10th out of 20 in my age group, and 128th overall. I beat my goal by a minute, and set a new PR.

No more races until the Las Cruces Half in December. A month away. I don't know if I'll try for a new PR or just run and have fun.

After the run, my good friend took me out to brunch and then to 2 different bazaars. I got a little christmas shopping done. By then we were both exhausted. I had a relaxing evening with the critters and went to bed early. I slept great last night. 


  1. Could the fever be from the Amp'd stamp?

    1. I thought about that. Yesterday I didn't take the pill until after the race and scraped the stamp off. No fever. Today I tried it again with the stamp on, and so far I feel fine. No fever or lightheadedness. I'll try it again stamp-on tomorrow, and if I get a fever tomorrow, I'll scrape all the stamps off. I think it may have just been a mild bug or nerves, though.

  2. I just ran my first 5k. I think I'm in love! It was such so much fun! I am signing up for another race on December 2nd. These are going to be addictive...


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Roof of Africa - Getting There

Stitch Fix The Perfect (I Mean, Third)

Stuff! And More Stuff!